Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hummus

Do you love hummus? I do.  I love hummus so much I make it in massive batches and freeze it so that I can always have some.  My love affair with hummus began about 8 years ago when I was introduced to my first Turkish restaurant.  I can't even.  Turkish food may be the most delicious thing I've ever tasted and people....I've been exposed to excellent Mexican food.  That's saying something.

I spent a disproportionate amount of time trying to imitate the hummus that was sold at my very favourite Turkish restaurant.  This is the result.


Hummus

Makes 1.25 litres (or 5.5 cups) of hummus

Ingredients

3 x 400g cans of chick peas (also called garbonzo beans for all of you from MURICA) - Drain 2, leave one as-is.
3 teaspoons minced garlic (or 3 minced garlic cloves)
4 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions

Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor.  Blend until smooth, adding the olive oil in small amounts until the desired consistency is reached.  Serve with bread, vegetables or other delicious things like the flesh of your defeated foes.

Remember that hummus varies.  Some people like their hummus more bland with less tahini, some people like it with a lot of tahini, some people with a lot of garlic or a lot of lemon juice.  Fiddle with it until you have your hummus the way YOU like it.  Mine is quite tahini heavy because I love that toasted sesame flavour in my hummus.  Nomomom.

Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment