Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Plain White Bread

It took me years to get my bread recipe right.  I still have loaves that turn out completely dense or crumbly sometimes.  These days, I know how to fix those problems (usually caused by sloth on my part) and I get it right again the next time.  But I wanted to share this recipe with you because it's great for saving money and being a massive show-off. Nothing says, "I'm a wildly sexy cook." like baking the perfect loaf of bread. Except for nudity.  Nudity also works.

Note: This recipe is extremely simplistic - however, there are many additional tips that should be noted. They can be found in my separate post: Bread Baking Tips



Plain White Bread

500 grams plain flour
7g dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
375ml warm water
Extra water for brushing
Topping of choice (seeds, oats, blah, blah, blah)

First, get your ingredients together.  I don't normally put everything in separate containers all fancy-like but it seemed appropriate for this. :P  Usually I'm too concerned with dirtying too many dishes.



Place the flour, yeast and salt  in a large bowl and combine.


Make a well in the centre and pour in the warm water.  Stir until it comes together into a rough ball.



 Time to get your hands dirty! Sprinkle flour onto your counter and dump the dough unceremoniously into the middle of the whole mess.  Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.

Time to turn 90 degrees!

Too lumpy and inconsistent! More kneading!
 Shape the dough into a ball.  Oil the inside of a bowl (I just use spray olive oil for quickness).  Place the dough into the bowl and roll it around a bit with your hand to coat it.
AW YEAH.  THIS IS IT.
Cover the bowl with a lightly damp tea towel (kitchen towel) and place it in a warm area free of draughts to proof.  Leave it here until it has doubled in size.
My rising location of choice. Across the room from the fire.

Once it has doubled, punch the dough down.  Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead again for a few minutes until once more smooth and elastic. (I was hoping to get a photo of the doubled dough but one of my chickens tore a claw off right before I pulled the dough out.  I was on the phone with my husband telling him what first-aid items to bring home and punched down the dough on auto pilot)

Preheat your oven to 200C (395F) right about now.

Shape the dough into a loaf.  (or whatever you're making - rolls, pullaparts, etc).  Place into an oiled loaf pan (or other pan of choice).




Brush the dough lightly with oil and stand in a warm, draught-free place for about 30 minutes or until it has risen above the edge of the pan slightly.  



Brush the dough very lightly with water and dust with your coating of choice (I often use sesame seeds).  Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.  Turn the baked loaf out onto a wire rack immediately and allow to cool.

A finished loaf! The top deflated slightly when I brushed it with water.
An explanation on this can be found in my separate post Bread Baking Tips.

Makes one large loaf, two small loaves or 8 bread rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment