Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Taco Salad

This is a pretty darn good taco salad if I do say so myself.  It's not really pretty though...

Looks: Dude, what did you kill and why is its mangled corpse in this bowl?!
Tastes: ...wait, who fucking cares? Kill another and give me its sweet, ugly fleshes.

It's -yummy-.  It could do with a dressing.  I'm going to work on a creamy chipotle dressing to pair with it - but it works pretty well without a dressing.  I usually make my own (totally nommable) taco seasoning but I was full of le sloth and just used a seasoning packet.



Basic Taco Salad

Makes 6-8 servings (It would probably make 8 if my eyes were huge and my stomach huger. Shut up.  Huger is a word.  I made it just now.)

1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
500g beef mince (about 1lb)
1 sachet taco seasoning
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
100g (3.5oz) plain tortilla chips, crumbled
150g (5oz) grated tasty (cheddar) cheese
3 small avocados, sliced up

In a pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef, breaking it up as you go.  Drain off any excess oil.

Stir through taco seasoning and onion powder.  Add kidney beans and tomatoes - heat through.  If adding the tomatoes left this watery - reduce slightly.  You want a nice, thick mix.  Remove from heat and leave to cool.

Meanwhile, toss the tortilla chips, cheese, avocados and lettuce together in a large bowl.  

When the meat mix is cool - add to the rest of the salad and toss well.   Do not add the meat mix while hot.  It will wilt the lettuce, making it soggy and will melt the cheese - which only sounds awesome until you try to eat your soggy lettuce and lukewarm half-melted cheese salad.  You'll be regretting it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment