Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

ANZAC Biscuits

I'd never heard of ANZAC biscuits until I moved to Australia.  For that matter, I'd never heard of ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corp).  Thanks, American education! :P  Once I'd had them, I fell in love.  I'm a fan of all oats-based cookies biscuits.  If you are too, these could be a yummy snack - and kids love them!

ANZAC Biscuits

2 cups plain flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup coconut
250g butter
4 tablespoons golden syrup (for my American friends, dark corn syrup, molassas, karo and honey will all do the trick but will all provide slightly different results - personally, I'd go dark corn syrup)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon baking soda

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Melt butter, golden syrup and water in a saucepan until hot but NOT boiling.  Sprinkle the baking soda into the pan and let the mix expand.

Stir the golden syrup mix into the dry ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.

Place walnut sized balls onto a tray lined with wax paper and bake at 175C (350F) for 15-20 minutes.  Biscuits are done when lightly browned.  They will harden when cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment