Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Curry Spice Red Lentil Burgers

I was a bit skeptical when I saw the original recipe for these red lentil burgers.  I didn't see them turning out as spicy as I like or as healthy as I require. Being the kitchen daredevil that I am, I threw the recipe out and made it up as I went along. 

The result was super yummy!  Now...I like my spices - so I added A LOT of curry powder.  With 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper there was only the tiniest hint of spiciness - and I'm not tolerant of spicy foods at all.
  


Curry Spice Red Lentil Burgers

Makes 12 yummy patties

1 1/2 cup dry red lentils
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped finely
3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
5 cloves garlic, minced (I'm a garlic nut - so mileage may vary here)
1 tablespoon curry powder (If you're not a fan of cumin, reduce this by at least half.  I fucking love it.)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons fresh coriander
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon salt (may need more, may need less - depends on taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Bread rolls or hamburger buns
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced

Fill a large saucepan with cold water and the lentils.  Put over high heat until it comes to a boil.  Uncover, turn down and simmer for 10 minutes or until the lentils are very, very tender.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until tender and brown.

Add 2/3 of the garlic and the carrots and cook until the carrots soften.  Stir in the curry powder and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.  Remove from heat.

Mix in the breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper until combined.  (The salt will vary on your taste.  Go ahead and add it a little at a time, tasting as you go - the raw mix is yum anyway and your risk of food borne illness from eating raw eggs is minimal if they are fresh.  Mine were laid today!)

Form the mix into twelve 1/4 cup burgers.

Heat another 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Cook the lentils for 3 minutes each side or until set and medium brown (they will blacken pretty quickly if you leave them for too long).

Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, coriander and salt to taste in a small bowl.

Serve the lentil burgers on a bun with a dollop of sour cream and a few slices of red capsicum (or your veggie of choice - or no veggies - whatever).

No comments:

Post a Comment